International Young Artists Competition
Download or Print GUIDELINES
Application form PDF
Online Application Form HERE
Competition Date: Sunday, March 31, 2019
Competition Location: New Jersey City University
Grand and Gold Winners' Concerts: Sunday, April 28, 2019
Winners’ Concert Location: Weill Recital Hall-Carnegie Hall
The competition is open to all instrumentalists and vocalists residing in the U.S. between the ages of 8 to 20 at the time of competition. The performance by a winner must be the same piece approved by the judges during the audition. Judges’ decisions are final.
Grand, Gold and Silver winners will be awarded. Grand and Gold winners will perform at the Weill Recital Hall. Silver winners will receive certificates. Grand and Gold winners must perform at the winners’ concerts to receive awards or they will forfeit their status.
On the day of the competition, judges will select recipients of the NLPA Scholarship. NLPA Scholarships will be presented at the Grand Winners’ Concert.
Application Deadline: Postmarked by March 1, 2019
Application Fee: $80. Fee is non-refundable.
Live Audition Date*: Sunday, March 31, 2019
Audition Location: New Jersey City University (Rossey Hall)
2039 Kennedy Blvd. Jersey City, NJ
*Students who reside outside of the Tri-State area or who have scheduling conflicts may send a YouTube link. See below for YouTube entry procedure.
Application Form Guidelines:
EACH APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE ALL OF THE BELOW TO BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE. ONLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- A filled application form.
- A check of application fee which is non-refundable.
- A separate check of the winners’ fee. If not selected, the check will be returned.
- 7 minutes or less $250 (if selected, winners will receive 4 tickets)
- 7 minutes 1 second to 10 minutes 1 second $350 (if selected, winners will receive 6 tickets) NOTE: All pieces will be timed by timers on the day of the competition. If selected but the winners’ fee check and the actual performance time do not match, winners will be notified to send the difference by the requested date. PLEASE SELECT AND TIME YOUR REPERTOIRE CAREFULLY BEFORE SENDING THE APPLICATION FORM.
- For YouTube entries only, a copy of the music must accompany with the application.
- One selection or a collection of pieces (from the same opus or suite) from the standard solo repertoire (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionist, and Contemporary). A movement of a suite is acceptable. Theme and variations are to be played in their complete form. No simplified arrangements will be accepted. No repeats unless they affect the integrity of the piece.
- Memorization is required on all pieces.
- No change of repertoire once submitted.
- Maximum time limit is 10 minutes 1 second. Note: Under no circumstances, will we accept any pieces longer than 10 minutes 1 second and performance will be stopped by timers. Please select your piece(s) carefully.
- If selected as Grand/Gold Winners, there are two different winners’ fees (pieces under 7 minutes AND pieces from 7 minutes 1 second to 10 minutes 1 second). Please see above for the two different winners’ fees according to performance time. Please select your repertoire carefully.
- For piano entries, both Prelude and Fugue from WTC must be played to qualify as one piece. A movement of a piano sonata/sonatina will count as one selection. No concerto repertoire.
- For non-piano instruments, concerto repertoire is allowed. However, cuts in the solo section (including a cadenza of a concerto) will results in disqualification. A concerto must be performed with a piano accompanist using piano reduction of the orchestral score. Please minimize accompaniment interludes. Cadenza of a concerto must be included. Cuts in the accompaniment or tutti score are strongly encouraged. Any questions, please contact NLPA.
- No instrumental and piano collaboration sonatas/sonatinas are allowed. Any questions about meeting this criterion, please contact NLPA.
- Instrumentalists/vocalists must provide own accompanist for both competition and for the concert, if selected, or will be disqualified. If you need an accompanist, we can provide a list of names.
- Concert Performance Restriction: Grand and Gold Winners will perform only the piece performed at the competition.
Live Audition Entry Guidelines:
- Competition schedule will be sent via email with detail instructions.
- All students must bring a copy of the music or the original book. Not necessary to send a copy of the music with the application form.
YouTube Link Entry Guidelines:
- All Repertoire Requirements apply. Refer to all Repertoire Requirements above including minimizing accompaniment sections.
- Students should wear proper concert attire.
- Performance must be within past three months of the competition date.
- ALL YouTube entry students must send the application form by the deadline date to reserve their audition spots. YouTube link must arrive before March 29, 2019. If we do not receive by this date, the entry will not be considered and the application fee will not be refunded.
- A copy of the music must be sent with the application form by the application deadline date. (Do not send via email. There will not be a printer on the day of the event) A copy of the music cannot be returned.
- Send the YouTube link via NLPA’s email address at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grand Winners’ Concert
- Grand Winners’ Concert Date: Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 1 P.M.
- Grand Winners’ Concert place: Weill Recital Hall-Carnegie Hall
- Standard Winners’ fee (up to 7 minutes): $250 which includes 4 tickets, trophies, and certificates
- Extended Winners’ fee(7 minutes 1 second to 10 minutes 1 second): $350 which includes 6 tickets, trophies, and certificates
- Additional tickets are $50 each.
- Grand Winners must perform at the Winner's Concert in order to receive awards or they will forfeit their status.
Gold Winners’ Concert
- Gold Winners’ Concert Date: Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 5:30 P.M.
- Gold Winners’ Concert place: Weill Recital Hall –Carnegie Hall
- Standard Winners’ fee(up to 7 minutes): $250 which includes 4 tickets, trophies, and certificates
- Extended Winners’ fee(y minutes 1 second to 10 minutes 1 second): $350 which includes 6 tickets, trophies, and certificates
- Additional tickets are $50 each
- Gold Winners must perform at the Winner's Concert in order to receive awards or they will forfeit their status.
- Proper concert attire is required for both the competition and the winners’ concert.
NOTE: To the parents or guardians of the applicants under 18 years of age.
By entering NLPA’s event, parents give permission to the National League of Performing Arts, Inc.(NLPA) to use photographs of your child(ren) taken by NLPA representative, with appropriate captions, in NLPA publications, or on the NLPA website and in the local newspapers. If you do not wish NLPA to use your child(ren)’s photos in NLPA publications, on the NLPA website or in the local newspapers, kindly notify us by email (email@example.com)